What's your name?
The energy of the classes are welcoming and
Have you met the amazing members of our community? If so, you know that it really is a collection of fabulous humans! If you haven't, we invite you to come join us for a class, event, or retreat and see for yourself.
Here are 3 things that we love about our community:
1. Genuine: This group of people is collectively, the most honest and sincere bunch that we have met. They like to be a part of something larger, and they are actively a part of our community. Our members always have a smile to share, are there to welcome newcomers. They take their yoga practice off the mat, and out into the world.
2. Diverse: What makes our community so great is the diversity that we see; from those who have never done yoga before to those who have practiced for years. We have students in creative industries as well as those in the corporate world. We have folks from around the globe, and while we may speak different languages, yoga has brought us together.
3. Connected: In some places, you see faces that you recognize, but don't have a true connection to. In our community, we are proud to watch individuals step up and introduce themselves to others. They help us to create a welcoming environment and it continues after class has ended. We often hear of people bumping into each other in the neighbourhood, becoming friends, and it's so great to see these powerful human connections form.
Without the ancient practice of yoga, our paths as we know it, might not have crossed. We are beyond grateful to the practice of yoga and how its very essence has shaped our Liberty Life community.
Here are 3 things that we love about yoga:
1. How it makes us feel: From the physical body to the mental and spiritual aspects, this practice has something to offer every body. Yoga has helped us through small, everyday stressors to large, life stressors. Through our yoga practice, we can feel calmer in a busy world. Yoga reminds us what is really important and helps us to prioritize from a conscious place.
2. The health benefits: You've likely heard that sitting is the new smoking, and in a very sedentary society, yoga is here to help! Depending on the type of yoga, yoga can help increase your heart rate and blood flow, tone your muscles, increase flexibility, and provide deep relaxation. Each different type of yoga offers many benefits and there is at least one style that will be a fit for you!
3. Community: We think you get the picture by now of how much we appreciate and celebrate our community! It's truly one of the best groups of humans out there!
Photo Credit: @katemcgphotography
Through the members of our fabulous community, we have discovered, and continue to work with some amazing brands.
Here are 3 local brands that we are proud ambassadors for:
1. Clean Kiss Organics: This organic and clean skin and hair line has something for everyone! Made in small batches, these healthy products - like natural deoderant (that works!) and perfectly whipped body and face butters - are dreamy! Use the code LLYSave10 at checkout and save 10% off your order.
2. BYoga / Halfmoon: Hands-down (as they often are in yoga!), the BMat is our favourite yoga mat our there! BYoga recently joined ventures with Halfmoon, who is the creator of our favourite bolster (along with many other yoga goodies). Shop our favourite products on our website.
3. Knix: This Toronto-based company is shaking up the world of intimate apparel. Using real women, celebrating their real bodies, Knix is helping us all to be a bit more comfortable in our own skin. Check out their Catalyst Bra and Racerback Bra, plus their tanks, undies, and more. Use the code libertylifeyoga10 to save $10 off your purchase!
Photo Credit, left to right: @cleankissorganics, @byoganow, @libertylifeyoga
When my friend, and now business partner, Sarah, asked me if I wanted to lead a yoga retreat with her on the Amalfi Coast of Italy, I didn’t hesitate to give a loud and enthusiastic “YES! I’m in!” While there was a lot of planning and behind-the-scenes work that went into this week-long retreat with 16 guests, I want to share some of the exciting, incredible experiences and give you a glimpse into what our yoga retreat looked, felt, and tasted like.
The retreat centre is in a little town, about 20 minutes outside of Sorrento. The building itself is an old convent, overlooking the Gulf of Naples. With a winding street leading down to the water, this quiet little town created the perfect backdrop as we settled in for a week of being connected through yoga.
Our retreat used yoga as the common thread to allow us to discover, explore, and renew in a variety of ways. It was important to Sarah and I that our participants were able to choose how involved they wanted to be, in every capacity. There was a daily offering of yoga and meditation, ranging from 30 to 120 minutes. Classes included meditation, Light Flow, Fire Flow, restorative, and myofascial release. The first full day of the retreat looked like this:
There were also excursions so that people could discover and explore the breathtaking scenery of the Amalfi Coast! We took a ride along the coast and spent the afternoon exploring the beach, shops, and pizza in Positano. Another afternoon was spent with a visit to a nearby lemon farm to taste the regional specialty liqueur, limoncello. For those who love to cook, they spent one morning at a cooking class learning authentic Italian recipes and techniques. There was one full-day excursion, in which we took a boat to Capri - explored the island for a bit and then continued with the boat ride around the island - complete with a refreshing jump into sparkling blue water. One of our guests, Rebecca, shared the following: “Christine and Sarah led our group through exciting excursions along the Amalfi Coast and planned activities at the retreat centre that brought the group together in a unique way.”
Some of the people in the group knew someone else but some came without knowing anyone. As we gathered to do yoga together, an inviting space was created to get to know one another better. Being able to explore your own movement, practice, and breath while feeling the breeze and overlooking the water is quite magical. Many of our participants had little yoga experience prior to arriving at the retreat.
Sitting down to meals (delicious meals, at that) that were prepared by Italian women who infused passion for food and culture into every bite, allowed for people to continue to learn more about each other. We lingered over lunch and dinner, sipping red wine, and enjoying the food and the company of one another. Bonds starting to form very early into the retreat, and people were excited to show up for the next class, excursion, or meal, to pick up where they left off.
Another guest, Anne, said this: “Being able to experience a yoga retreat while traveling where I had never been gave me the comfort and structure of yoga classes, while also having the excitement of sharing new experiences with like-minded people.” The final night of the retreat, we gathered, as many of the group had throughout the week, at a local restaurant/bar along the water, just a few minutes walk from the retreat centre. We raised a glass of limoncello to the new friends that were made, the joy of having absorbed ‘la dolce vita’ for a week, and for the individual discoveries and explorations that we each took away from our yoga retreat together.
If this sounds like the experience you have been waiting for, then please, come with us for one of our next adventures! We are heading to Prince Edward County, Ontario and Playa del Carmen, Mexico in February, 2019, and are already working on Costa Rica and Bali for 2020.
We hope to see you on the mat soon; be it one of our local classes or for one of our retreats!
Written by: Christine Noonan
Liberty Life Yoga teachers, students & partners sharing on #livingthelibertylife