Restoring balance to your body takes time, but with a clean diet and proper supplementation, you can dramatically improve your digestive system. It is important to remember that if we are unable to digest and absorb fats, proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals, poor health will definitely follow. From an energetic standpoint, if we are unable to digest our food, our reality on the outside,then we are unable to digest our reality on the inside.
As a Digestive Health Coach and Holistic Nutritionist, I've met several women who struggle from IBS, Crohn's disease, constipation, excessive gas, heartburn and reflex. While there is no quick fix for curing the gut, there are several holistic remedies that can help heal your gut.
Through yeas of struggling with IBS, I've found that changes to my lifestyle and food choices worked in synergy to help me heal.
Below are my top 10 tips to help keep your gut in good health:
1. First thing in the morning, drink at least 8 oz of warm water with lemon juice in the morning. This allows the liver to begin dumping toxins accumulated during the night and will help produce a bowel movement in the morning.
2. Eat breakfast 20-30 minutes after drinking lemon water.
3. Incorporate 1 tbsp of Omega 3, flax seed or borage oil in your morning smoothie or shake. Oils help lubricate the colon, heart and joints. They also help reduce inflammation in the body.
4. Take a probiotic! Multiple strains of probiotics help restore proper micro-flora in the small intestine.
5. Avoid eating raw foods, as they are hard for the body to breakdown, and can lead to excess gas and bloating.
6. Drink water at least 20 minutes before a meal, and again 1 hour after a meal. I caution my clients to avoid drinking with their food, to prevent them from diluting digestive enzymes which are needed to breakdown food.
7. Avoid sugar and high glycemic foods as these foods are nutrient void, raise blood sugar and cause inflammation in the body.
8. Drink a minimum of 2-3 litres of water a day! Add a few tablespoons of liquid chlorophyll, lemon or cucumber to your water. This will help alkalize yoru body, cleanse your body of toxins and reduce acidity in your body.
9. Follow proper food combining rules. A good rule of thumb is to remember that vegetables and salads should be eaten with meats, or vegetables and salads should be eaten with carbohydrates.
10. Get a food allergy/food sensitivity test. We are usually allergic to the foods we constantly crave. In Energy Medicine, and in many spiritual healing modalities, food allergies are connected to fear, while food intolerances are connected to judgement or inadequacy. Food allergies and food sensitives contribute to many diseases including high cholesterol, cardiovascular disease and hypertension. Known as "silent inflammation," food allergies and food intolerances can damage your immune system.
Eating clean, wholesome foods, managing stress, exercising and embodying a powerful mind-body connection will help lead you to a path of gut bliss. Be mindful of what you eat, how you eat and take the time to chew your food. Savor every bite - as you truly are what you eat. Most importantly, extend gratitude and kindness to yourself. Be kind to your body and be kind to your gut.
Laura De Sanctis
Liberty Life Yoga teachers, students & partners sharing on #livingthelibertylife